Well. Day One is over. And it went pretty well. Things were a little dicey around noon when I was sitting in class, trying to pay attention to genetics and heredity. I…don’t think I retained much.
Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, broccoli, baby greens, and leftover roasted sweet potatoes
Lunch: leftover beef/sweet potato stew with leftover Barbacoa beef and more sweet potatoes, plus baby greens (perhaps a theme?)
Dinner: Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Onion and Pecans (recipe below), “Tandoori” Chicken with green peas
Snacks: home-dried apple rings, a fresh apple, and a small handful of toasted pecans. And tons and tons and tons of water. 2 cups of black coffee, before noon.
Feeling: Ok. A little headachy and low on patience. It was a little iffy between breakfast and lunch; I got realllly hungry and wanted to snack! But altogether upbeat and ready to face Day Two, which happens to coincide with a Medical Terminology test tomorrow at 8:30am, which I totally forgot about until, oh, 3 hours ago. 2 more practice quizzes and I’m headed to bed!
Good night, lovelies! Sweet dreams and good eats tomorrow.
Brussels Sprouts with Onions and Pecans- serves 4 (as a normal side dish; I ate 1/2 the pan to myself)
2 T Ghee or Coconut Oil
1 1/2 # Brussels Sprouts
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup pecan halves, roughly chopped
1. Trim bottoms of sprouts and cut in half lengthwise
2. Heat ghee or coconut oil in a large frying/saute pan over medium-high heat
3. Add onions. Cook for about 8 minutes or until soft and beginning to brown
4. Add brussels sprouts, salt, pepper, and pecans. Cook until sprouts are tender and beginning to brown and pecans are toasty
5. Serve to 4 normal people as a delicious side dish to a nice pork loin roast or grilled chicken or eat the whole pan like a woman who has given up carbs and sugar for a month and is suddenly starving all.the.time. Pretend there will be leftovers to eat at lunchtime tomorrow, knowing full well you’re going to grab some as soon as you finish your blog post.